Gain Candidacy for Dental Implants with Sinus Lift Surgery
Those who have lost one or more teeth can choose the life-changing treatment option of dental implants. However, before patients can undergo implant surgery, Dr. Robert Berger will need to determine if there is adequate upper jawbone density to receive the implant post. Some individuals suffer from a low-position sinus membrane that can put them at risk for serious complications if they undergo dental implant placement. For these individuals, Dr. Berger offers safe and effective sinus lift surgery to add bone tissue to the upper jaw. Following this straightforward procedure, patients can gain candidacy for dental implants or an implant-retained prosthetic. Dr. Berger has proudly served the Columbia area community since 1969.
Benefits of Sinus Lift Surgery
If you have low-position sinus membranes, sinus lift surgery can help you gain candidacy for dental implants while lowering your risk of complications following surgery. After undergoing sinus lift surgery at our Columbia dental practice, patients can enjoy these benefits:
- Reversal of bone damage: Whether you have suffered loss of jawbone density due to periodontitis, trauma, tooth loss, or another reason, sinus lift surgery can restore upper jawbone health.
- Candidacy for dental implants: Once your jawbone heals, Dr. Berger can schedule your dental implant surgery. Many of our patients report that the implants feel and function like their natural teeth. Dr. Berger has more than 20 years of experience in placing dental implants.
- A safe treatment: Sinus lift surgery may sound like a major surgery, but the procedure is straightforward and widely performed across the United States.
It is not uncommon for patients to require sinus lift surgery to gain candidacy for dental implant placement.
Are You a Candidate?
The majority of patients who seek the restorative benefits of sinus lift surgery are good candidates for the procedure. Often, we see individuals who have these risk factors for low-position sinus membranes:
- A history of poor oral hygiene
- Natural anatomy that includes insufficient upper jawbone density
- Tooth loss
- History of tobacco use
During your visit to our practice, Dr. Berger will carefully examine your jawbone to determine if you require a sinus lift. As with any oral surgery, patients should be in good overall health and free from conditions that could complicate surgery and recovery.
How Is Sinus Lift Surgery Performed?
Sinus lift surgery is performed using a combination of local anesthesia and sedation. Our Columbia dental practice offers oral conscious and IV sedation options to help patients feel more comfortable throughout their treatment. Once comfortable, the doctor will make an incision in your gums before placing donor bone or grafting material to augment receded areas and lift the sinus floor. A special membrane may be placed around the donor material to ensure that surrounding gum tissue does not interfere with healing following treatment. Once the surgery is complete the incisions will be sutured closed. Full recovery can take four to six months. After you have fully healed, an appointment will be scheduled to place your dental implant.
Restore Your Jaw Strength with Sinus Lift Surgery
It is not uncommon for patients to require sinus lift surgery to gain candidacy for dental implant placement. To help patients afford treatment, our office accepts CareCredit® financing. To schedule your sinus lift consultation, contact our office online or call Berger Dental Group at (803) 573-3915.